Emoji and reacji (emoji reactions) are core to both our playful personality and our product experience. As universally recognizable symbols, they help communicate simple ideas and convey emotion, feeling especially right in moments of welcoming, celebration and encouragement.
Emoji should be additive and purposeful, not merely decorative.
- Focus first on the message or core idea—then bring in emoji to add meaning.
- Choose emoji that complement accompanying text, your idea and/or any other surrounding emoji.
- Have some fun with it! If you’re overthinking it, you probably don’t need it.
- Don’t use emoji when an illustration or an icon would work better.
It’s also important to use emoji in an inclusive way.
- Never use emoji as a substitute for words; they can’t be translated by screen readers and they don’t always translate in meaning, either.
- Limit your use of gendered emoji or those with specific skin tones.
- Avoid emoji that could be sensitive to others or cause negative feelings.
Licensed emoji pack
Source emoji from our licensed Joypixel emoji pack. We even have animated emoji! Avoid legal trouble; don’t use other emoji packs or system defaults.
Emoji can be placed on solid or color backgrounds within brand shapes or inside circles. In any case, backgrounds should come from our core or secondary color palette. Refer to our color page
for specific guidance on color.
Select a background color with high contrast to the emoji’s colors
For brand shapes, use grey, white or an approved tonal pairing with the background
Reacji outside of the Slack UI can be placed on a grey, white or tone pairing from background color
Use reacji in product references that show shared experience and connection.
Please follow the approved reacji structure and set the number in Lato Regular. Use black or white copy depending on reacji container color.
Don’t use unlicensed emoji packs, including Apple emoji (sorry Apple, it’s a legal thing)
Don’t replace words with emoji
Don’t use unapproved fonts in reacji
Don’t pair emoji with a low-contrast color background